Tuesday 18 November 2008

The VERY FIRST ENTRY OH YES

So, here we go. I've tried to start many blogs in my time, on livejournal, myspace, and other blogspot ones. The difference between them and this is that I plan to use this one to provide updates on things I do, media-wise, rather than just talk crap about my life and eventually get bored.

I'll start by introducing myself. I am Tom Bown (Or just Bown), currently 18 years of age, born and raised in Lincoln, England. It's a nice but dead-end town, about 30 or so years behind the rest of the country. Luckily, thanks to the internet, my options are opened up quite a bit.

I've always been interested in media things, writing, filming, making music, etc. My ambition is to one day be a film-maker, however, I pretty much lack the determination. Luckily, I'm now doing Media Production at the University of Lincoln, which, as well as basically forcing me to have to do things, gives me access to a load of awesome equipment.

Here's a list of things I will most likely be updating on in the future, University-related or otherwise:

A short film. In the "Script, Screenwriting, & Realisation" module of the course, each person in the group had to write a short film, five minutes long, based around one character. For the sake of actually having something to show people in my first update, you can read it by clicking here. After handing them in, we got into groups of four and chose one to film. We're not filming mine, but have chosen to film "Choices", written by the very talented Denise Barry, who's also directing it, which I take on the role of main camera operator. We're still working on casting the main character on that right now, however, earlier tonight me and Denise went scouting for locations and found some great places to film. Hopefully principal photography (Yep, I'm using professional terms now. Just cos I rule and that.) will start soon.

Photography. In the module of the same name, we first had to dress up in a costume for an alter ego type thing, although we didn't take the pictures ourselves. My genius plan was to splash lots of water over myself and post with my guitar. I might upload it for a later blog entry, but it looks stupid so maybe not! The current project is to take a series of 8-10 pictures that reflect our identity in some way. My idea, being a massive film buff, was to reenact scenes from films in some way. At the moment, I'm a little short of ideas. I'd quite like to do "There Will Be Blood", but I dunno if the bowling alley would really let me use one of their lanes. We'll have to see! Actually, any ideas for what scenes I could do would be appreciated. Comment with your thoughts! I can't say this is a project I'm incredibly enthusiastic about, mainly due to having to use 35mm SLR cameras, which I am not a fan of.

Digital Media. In this module, I've so far learnt very basic skills in both Photoshop and After Effects, which we are using to make two title sequences for films. We're given the title and 3 main actors, and have to make them two different genres. I have completed a very, very rough draft of my first one, which I probably won't show here due to it looking very Paint + Powerpoint, and storyboarded my second one, although it's proving troublesome as I need to take some pictures of my old home to trace over in Photoshop. I have been home several times since coming up with this idea, and have forgotten every time.

Mediation & Representation. The fourth module we do, which lasts all year rather than the half a year of all the rest. It's basically the side of it that fits with more sociological stuff. I'm only really mentioning it here for the sake of completing, but we have to hand in a 1500 word essay in just over three weeks. I might post it here.

The band. I am in a band. We are called "Mute". Here is our myspace. Currently, we're playing quite a few gigs, mostly in Lincoln (Although we have a couple lined up in other cities), and are recording a 12/13 track LP. It's a very alternative rock, early Foo Fighters, early Biffy Clyro, Pixies-esque sound. I play guitar and occasionally do backing vocals. We have a gig tomorrow, although I'm not sure whether I'll really talk about gigs in this blog, unless I have pictures, video, or recordings to share. I'll definitely post when we have new songs up, though.

Ugmo. The name for a big group of friends I have on the internet, mostly from Australia. They've got me into many of my favourite films and directors, and have as much of a passion as me. The difference is, they've actually done something; a series called "Free Quay st", which will theoretically involve a TV show (A proposal, with a pilot script and character designs, has been sent off to an Australian TV station) and many series of novellas. These have been planned out, and are the main reason I mentoned Ugmo; I'm going to be writing for them. Work on all the novellas has been slow recently, but may pick up soonish depending on everyone's schedules. I could also hopefully end up writing for the TV show, but that's far in the future.

Cakebomb. An awesome bunch of friends I've met while at Uni. They have a website, and it's regularly updated with brilliant videos and such they've made. I'm possibly gonna be involved with some of their stuff in the future, whether just as a camera operator, or maybe more. But probably just camera stuff. I have previously helped them with recording the amazingly talented Elliott Morris at one of his sets, which you can see here (I was the camera on the right.)

Other Shit. I want to do so much more. I want to write more fiction. I want to write more screenplays. I want to write something for my best friend, Liam Brocklehurst, to make on some sort of animation program. I want to start a more punk-y band. I want to start an acoustic project with Liam. I want to rip off Cakebomb and make a site where me and Liam post our stuff. I also want the resolve to do these things. Still, if any of this ever ends up happening, you'll be able to read about it here.

Now is probably a good time to end. Hopefully there should be updates soon, unless the lure of Guitar Hero: World Tour is too much.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just bought liambrocklehurst.com, btw. So we got webspace now :)

Dom said...

'but have chosen to film "Choices"'

Hahahahaa, this made me laugh. Even if it was unintentional.

'The difference is, they've actually done something; a series called "Free Quay st"'

I've done so much work on this! Like... three pages! !!!!!

;)

Ow, my eye is melting.